Friday, October 21, 2016

Know the MotherKnow the Mother by Desiree Cooper
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just finished the very wonderful, KNOW THE MOTHER by Desiree Cooper. I just heard Desiree read at a Brooklyn literary salon, and her warmth, generosity, humanity, decency and integrity just emanates from this beautifully written book. There are very few books I can say are so beautifully written, but this collection of very short stories has diction which will blow you way over the moon. She understands the demands of being a wife, a mother, a daughter to sick and elderly parents, concerns which are my own, now and forever. For example, "Leftovers" begins, "The sun warms the windowpanes as I linger on the edge of a dream. Downstairs, I can hear Cassie squealing like a piglet and Brandon is not using his inside voice. I should go an see where David is. He is probably inside on the phone with his office." The reality? The mom's significant role, even when she is NOT in the house, not tending to the children. It felt like every other piece in his beautiful book, the concerns were so authentic. Cooper's credentials, too, are impressive: a Pulitzer-prize nominated journalist and Detroit journalist, who was once an attorney. She lives in Detroit, and it goes without saying she is very preoccupied with issues of racism in the place she lives in, so place becomes very important in this book.

I feel blessed that I could read it and share in this author's strong and lyrical voice. A must read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment