Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Apples and Honey

This past Monday and Tuesday was the Jewish New Year: Apples and Honey. I am not a particularly religious person, but I do believe in karma. Why is this so important? It is the superstitious part of me: if I honor my ancestors; if I give thanks to those who came before me; if I acknowledge my heritage and take pride in it, good things will come my way. I may not believe in a God, but I believe in prayer. When things are dark, I pray to some unknown God; sometimes that "God" is my father, now deceased. I believe he would not want for me to suffer. What parent would ever want his or her child to suffer?

I also believe it is good to reflect on what we have done RIGHT and WRONG. It is important to acknowledge ones imperfections and try to do better. I think of myself as imperfect. Who isn't? But as a reflective person, I can think about what I can do to try to do better. I may not always succeed, but at least I have tried.

Considering my formative years were challenged ones, I would like to believe the many good things that have come to me as an adult are a consequence of being kind, compassionate and trying to do better. It is Aristotle who said, "An unexamined life is not worth living." I try to examine my life, so that I can say-at the end of the day-it was a worthwhile one!

No comments:

Post a Comment