Sunday, October 9, 2016

Defying the Nazis: The Sharpe Story

Last week marked the beginning of The Jewish New Year. How fitting that after having a wonderful celebratory meal with my family, that Ira and I proceeded to watch the Ken Burns documentary: Defying the Nazis: The Sharpe Story. This is about a husband and wife team, Americans, a Minister and his wife, who left their children to go abroad and fight to help people escape. Though loved family members took care of their young children for months at a time, this I found perplexing, but I came to understand that for this couple, people in peril had to be helped. Margaret Sharpe started the refugee movement that helped children of the Holocaust escape Nazi France. I marveled at the wife, more than the husband, because she first went as an appendage and later took on the role of hero as a solo journey. Her husband was already back home. At the end of the film, before she died, she was asked to talk about her work and she asked, "If you could save just one family, wouldn't you?" I wish I could say yes as freely as Margaret Sharpe did!

No comments:

Post a Comment