Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Holidays

The holidays are always a mixed blessing. It is a time of celebration, to count your blessings, but this year, in particular, there is a general sense of mourning, since the new president-elect does not offer hope; he diminishes it. In the last week, I saw two shows, both of which brought me into a state of sorrow. The first was the final interview on the Oprah show where she interviewed Michelle Obama. She is the epitome of brilliance, beauty and grace, and she is being replaced by a first lady whose campaign is cyber-bullying, a woman married to a president whose middle name is BULLY. It is sick and scary. Today I saw the movie "Barry" on Netflix, and all I could think about was how much I will miss having a smart, thoughtful intelligent president. President Obama did not have D.T's silver spoon feeding him; he rose in the ranks because he was smart, thoughtful, well-read, graceful and serious about the world and his place it it.


I will never, ever watch another State of the Union or news conference (even if D.T. ever gives one). Holiday cheer? I celebrate my own good fortune and my personal good deeds. I mourn a real president's exit from the world arena, a world which will one day realize what being presidential is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment