Friday, December 16, 2016

Lies


According to an editorial in last Sunday's NYT (12/11), Donald Trump lies, people know he lies, the Republicans know he lies, but it does not really matter. I am sorry, this is not "The Apprentice" nor is it reality television, and I have always expected my politicians to mostly tell the truth, particularly my president. Now that it has been proven, there was Russian tampering with this election, I am thinking: if it is a known fact that we are sending a criminal to the White House, why can't the electorate do anything? I dream of the days of Walter Cronkite, when I knew what I was getting was news, not a reality spin, not an orchestrated nightmare of an election. I quote the NYT, "Without a Walter Cronkite to guide them, how can Americans find the path to a culture of commonly accepted facts, the building blocks of democracy? A president and other politicians who care about the truth could certainly help them along. In the absence of leaders like that, media organizations that report fact without regard for partnership, and citizens who think for themselves, will light the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment