Monday, November 28, 2016

Taking Words Seriously

As a writer, I feel like whatever I say and use in my text matters. It is not like I have misused words (and sentiments), but I try not to. I try to keep meanness to a minimum, though I am sometimes guilty of not succeeding.

This is one--among many reasons--Donald Trump's presidency presents too many problems. He has said he would give his business to his children to operate, and he is already using the presidential platform as a means to enhance his millions (God knows how much he owns, since this is one area he has remained mute). He says he is against climate change one minute, and the next minute admits there is a possibility it is real. When his golf course in Florida floods, he might feel differently. He also says overturning Roe Vs. Wade is not a problem-handing it over to the states, since women can easily go to another state to have an abortion. Easily? Does he understand a poor, pregnant woman does not have the means to take a plane to NYC to take care of medical matters, particularly if she lives in the middle of the country?

What you say matters, Mr. Trump. Unless you are so far removed from reality, you need to get that there are some people out there who will listen to your words, and try to make sense of them.

I, for one, am not one of them. Once you ignited fire at your rallies by using divisive and dismissive words; once you made fun of a disabled reporter; once you said derogatory words about women, immigrants, Blacks and Latinos, I realized I could never take your words seriously, ever.

You are living proof that not everyone takes WORDS as seriously as I do. You can call yourself president, but sorry, the Emperor is way more naked than anyone who has come before him.

1 comment:

  1. Pam

    Thanks so much for your blog and sentiments that match my own worldview. So much of what's going on now reminds me of my rebellious teen years in the 1960s. I do believe that if we affect change in our worlds, it will ricochet to the larger world around us. As a two-time cancer survivor, fear is not a part of my DNA, but I am concerned about some of the upcoming directives and certain forms of activism are brewing.

    Keep up the great blog!

    Cheers,
    Diana

    Diana Raab, PhD
    dianaraab.com

    ReplyDelete