Friday, November 18, 2016

Happy Birthday, Samantha

Happy birthday, Samantha. Dad and I feel we have been blessed with terrific children, and this has helped us get through these hard days, post-election. And today is your birthday, so this is what I (we) have to say. I need to tell you, when I look at you I marvel and muse: how did I get a daughter like you? You are the quintessential do-gooder, values Dad and I have given you, but you take it to another plane.  You have already been to Namibia to teach, on a search and rescue mission on the Adaman Sea, and working for Capital Appeals Project in New Orleans. This summer you will be working for ACLU. To say we are proud of your convictions, your moral compass, is an understatement. You are the quintessential idealist, and make us daily want to be better people. Changing the pronoun to WE, since Dad feels the same way. We admire your fire, your passion, the causes you advocate for. But today, your birthday, there are other things which make us proud: your sense of humor; your love of family; your generosity and your warmth. A smart person once told me, when you go to sleep at night you have to feel you have made the world a better place, even in some small way. Samantha, you have made the world a better place in so many small and big ways. On this day we wish you the world-and more. We love you! Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment