Thursday, January 19, 2017

Goodbye President Obama

Goodbye, dear president. You inspired a great nation. You were never crude, always a brilliant orator, quite funny and a remarkable husband, parent, leader. And you always were optimistic, even when there were people who accused you of insanity, such as the birther rumors. I NEVER heard you call anyone a name; put down anyone; be anything but utterly and totally positive. The thing is, it was evident you always believed in the American people and this optimism was contagious. You are leaving this office with a 55-60% approval rating, while our new president enters with a 37% approval rating. Today, though, I will be like you. I will not put him down, but I will say, the nation mourns your departure. I allow your last words in your farewell address to resonate with me: "Let me tell you, the generation coming up-unselfish, altruistic, creative, patriotic-I've seen you in every corner of the country. You believe in a fair and just and inclusive America; you know that constant change is America's hallmark, that it's not something to fear but something to embrace; you are willing to carry out this hard work of democracy forward. You'll soon outnumber us, and I believe, as a result, the future is in good hands."


Today, president Obama, I bid farewell to you and your optimism and the way you have etched the meaning of goodness and righteousness in the world. I will try my very hardest to keep your wonderful essence with me as I face a world that now seems totally unfamiliar.

No comments:

Post a Comment