Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Jazz MoonJazz Moon by Joe Okonkwo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I just finished reading JAZZ MOON by Joe Okonkwo, a student who was in my graduate Children's Writing and Literature class last year, and I was totally blown away-far over the moon. This captivating first novel explores the artistic, sexual and cultural awakening of a young poet, Ben Charles, who moves to the rhythm of jazz, first in Harlem, and finally in Paris, France. In the liberated Parisian society, Ben, alienated and alone, discovers who he is amidst the city's underground scene, where jazz and blues sing their terrifically evocative and sometimes sad song. From the trendy cafes to the seedy opium dens-and all the liquor and smoke in between, Ben has to learn the difference between forbidden lust and love. The diction is versatile, romantic, loving and passionate, and will inspire any lover of the music of language. A must read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment