Friday, July 22, 2016

Writing as a Form of Social Justice


Writing is a form of social justice-if you want it to be. When I first started writing poetry, it was as a means to help me deal with personal issues. I suppose, in the mode of Sylvia Plath or Anne Sexton, you can say my poetry was "confessional poetry." I continued in this mode for a long while, and when my children were younger, I wrote about my FEELINGS about them-the wonder and the challenges, too! Now that I am older, I find it incumbent upon myself to write about all that is wrong with the world, as a means to hopefully change the direction of injustice. I hunger for meaningful books that send strong messages, ones that focus on important and challenging issues. It's not that I still don't enjoy reading some fluff, but books that tackle difficult and significant SOCIAL themes speak to me much LOUDER and CLEARER!!! RONIT AND JAMIL-here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment