Saturday, July 30, 2016

A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of TragedyA Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just finished reading A MOTHER'S RECKONING by Sue Klebold, the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of the shooters at Columbine high school. It has been sixteen years since that mass shooting, and in this wonderful work of non-fiction, his mother contemplates how she could possibly have a son who committed such atrocities. She loved her young boy so much; he was so promising. There were indeed small signs of distress, but nothing too major, yet inside his mind was a calamity of anguish, depression and rage, none of which she was privy too.

As a parent and also as a writer of YA literature, I understand the demons that lurk inside of a teenager. I also understand it is possible to wholly love your child, raise that child with the highest of moral standards, and still not understand the deeper darkness inside of him. I empathize with this mother, and I also know-now that my children are older-that I escaped the dangerous possibilities, but those terrible things could have happened to me-they can happen to anyone. "There by the grace of God!"

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment