Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Review for "I am Jazz"

I Am JazzI Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Based on true story with precious illustrations by Shelagh McNicholas, JAZZ is the story about a girl who knows she is a boy, and has known this since she was two. She loves sparkles, beads and everything "girlish," so it is up to Jazz to convince friends and family that this is okay. The doctor shares with the family that Jazz in transgender, and she was born this way; now the world has to see her this way, too. I love this book, though-at times-I felt it was too simplistic.

I am most interested in this book, since I, too, have written a book about a transgender boy who wants to be a girl, but unlike JAZZ'S simplistic style and voice, I see the readership for BE-A (Girl) as older. It is so important that children's picture books explore diverse subject matter.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment