Wednesday, September 11, 2024

September 11th

Though 23 years have passed since the destruction of the World Trade Center buildings, the grief feels touchably alive. Periodically, I revisit that horror, and the image of people jumping out of windows; the burning bodies; the ash; the debris, the lives lost cuts through like a knife. But I was just a witness; I saw it on television; I weeped at the unspeakable.

Today I honor all of the family members, those who survived the aftermath of this awful tragedy, those who lost husbands, wives, children; those fire-fighters who bravely climbed dozens of flights to do their duty; those police officers who arrived on the scene with a mission to save, and even the ordinary citizens who stepped in because they saw it as their civic duty. Nothing will ever bring your loved ones back. You only have years of cherished memories to reflect on. You are heroes in your own right. You have survived.

 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment