Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Review of 39 Poems by Charles Butler

 I just completed re-reading Charles Butler's heartfelt, warm, intelligent book of poetry, 39 POEMS. Again, I am bowled over. What is particularly wonderful about this book is its authenticity. He writes evocatively about manhood--his--and what it means to "be the man he was born to be/fearful not afraid/living is just that." You can feel his solitary-self and precious desire to move in the right  direction, "He never believed in complete happiness." Charles Butler allows you entry into his world of pain and grief, though it is always--at the end of the day, "the words/love me back/not in any conventional sense/in their way they free me/understand the pain/take it from me/the words."

But it is not just the grit, despair and challenges Charles has faced that he explores in this book, but also the love of a woman who, "moved on me/her body flows into mine." This particular woman, Elise Buchman, was my student, and also the love of the poet's life.This book of poetry is particularly poignant now, since Elise recently passed away, and he continues to mourn her passing. One can only hope that the words will continue to help alleviate the pain and loneliness of a life without Elise. The language and feelings in this book are evocative. 39 POEMS is a must read; a real tour de force!

No comments:

Post a Comment