Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Retirement

 After forty plus years at the same institution, City College, I have retired--well, almost retired. The poetry festival I run was postponed until the fall, so there is that work to be done, but yesterday I handed in my grades for the two classes I taught, so the teaching part of my career is over. In many ways, I consistently loved what I did. Every semester felt brand new in terms of new books, new subject matter, but mostly new students. There is an intimacy in a classroom. Often a teacher becomes not just someone who imparts knowledge, but a confidant (with limits), a therapist (with limits) and an open ear--receptive to their joys and also their anguish. I took pride in their accomplishments and felt sorrow with their grief; in particular, when they fell off the guardrails, and there was nothing I could do about it. Teaching, like parenting, teaches you the limits of control; you can guide, but you can not change.

I am ready to leave. As much as I loved the classroom, I grew tired of the grading, the extra tasks I had to perform, the bureaucracy. There is other unexplored terrain in my life I am ready to embark on. Still, this has become bittersweet for me. I am eager to start writing on a fulltime basis, to spend more time on my political goals, time with my husband, children, grandchildren, including the new one who awaits me in August. I am eager to throw myself into the books and culture I love, so all of this is sweet. Still, I will miss my students, the refrain, "Can I talk to you?" which always meant a new story, sometimes joyful, sometimes sad. 

I had to explain this feeling to a friend recently and I said it is like ending a marriage, where you know it is time to leave, yet you also know the person you were married to was wonderful in so many ways, but you had different aspirations and were truly so different, so it had to end. I fortunately never had this experience, but I know people who had, and one thing I have always been good at is stepping into the shoes of another in order to understand someone else's perspective.

It is time for me to divorce myself from my wonderful career and I am ready to take the leap, but I know--as I move into this new chapter yet to be written--I will miss my students, their stories, their smiles, so it is with joy and some sorrow I plunge into this unknown journey.

2 comments:

  1. You have been an amazing colleague, teacher and writer, Pam. I remember your accepting an independent study with a graduate student, Jennifer Buno, and doing such good work with Jennifer that she has stayed in touch with you until now and contributed to the poetry festival. I saw Jennifer in a photo you posted on Facebook recently!

    You were a wonderful composition committee member, Pam, during the semesters that I was charing that committee. You voiced your own views and contributed to our conversations so easily and effectively. I always counted on you and was glad you were on our committee.

    I well remember your fabulous contributions to our search committee for two composition hires. We traveled to Chicago for the MLA interviews and then worked together on campus toh hire two new composition professors in 2014. Both of these two professors are still with us and thriving today. I have long appreciated your very thoughtful contributions to our conversations in committee and your hard work as a search committee member. You never missed a meeting or an opportunity to contribute your suggestions and thoughts to our collaborative decision-making.

    And remember when you saved me a seat on the front row at commencement two years ago? I was so grateful! We sat side by side, chatted and took photos together. What a beautiful memory that is for me now, as I too approach my own as of yet undeclared retirement.

    Pam, you are a colleague who always had a smile and an upbeat comment to make when we met in meetings or in the NAC hallways. I felt happy every time when we stopped and talked for a few minutes about anything and nothing at all. Our conversations were not about the topic we discussed but were a constant reminder of our common experiences as colleagues and friends in a sometimes complicated workplace.

    Your consistent publication of children's books over many years is so inspiring, Pam. I hope you will now have the time that you would like to devote to your writing and also your reading of anything you enjoy reading.

    Thank you for your consistently splendid contributions to our department. Your unique contributions to our department will be long remembered.

    Warm wishes for the next beautiful phase of your life.

    Barbara Gleason

    ReplyDelete