Sunday, December 24, 2017

Amanda

I have a very special daughter-in-law, and her name is Amanda. She is one of those small time local heroes. First of all, she just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. She is a remarkable mother; she has been to Ella, and my guess is she will be to Jacob as well. She is patient in a way I have never seen, ever, but when she has to discipline, she does it and with extraordinary warmth and compassion. She never toots her own horn and cares so little for what is really insignificant-wealth, power, ambition. She lives the way I did when my children were young,with too few indulgences, little baby-sitting, taking care of things on her own. It is very old-fashioned and very lovely, so different from what I see with so many young Moms today.

But Amanda is unlike any young Mom; she is unique and different. When things were tough for her these months-with work, with the pregnancy, with family, she did not complain; she handles her personal plight with dignity and grace, something  I am not certain I could have done. She worked until the last minute of her pregnancy and will return to a work of giving and generosity in the fall.

I love the edge in her humor; the funny glint in her eyes. She is thoroughly beautiful, inside and out.

I wish the world were filled with more like Amanda, but then-perhaps-she would not be so outstanding. But one thing I can tell you, for sure: the world would be a better place. Our family is blessed to have her.

No comments:

Post a Comment