Monday, March 20, 2017

Taking a Moment

Have been on a treadmill with RONIT AND JAMIL events--schools, readings, all so good, but even too much of a good thing is too much. We have to put the breaks on in our lives; otherwise, we will crash. I had felt myself about to crash, and this was awakened when I observed another teacher teaching this week, a part of my  job. It was an advanced creative writing class at City College, and in the first five minutes the teacher requested the students close their eyes and just meditate on what they wanted to write. At first I found myself cynical; this is too hokey, I thought, but then I allowed to give myself over to the experience.

And guess what I found? Sitting quietly-thinking, dreaming, contemplating is not just a luxury we afford ourselves, but in fact, a necessity. For five minutes that day, I felt relaxed, my brain was not swirling, I felt the muscles in my body take a vacation. This made me realize how crucial it is to mentally take a vacation-even for a few moments. In fact, creativity does not exist in a vacuum; it exits when one has the ability to quietly dream. This made me feel quite good about my decision to write fewer blog entries, since sometimes quantity is not quality, and I found myself so repetitive. I also found myself drowning in the politics of 2017. Drowning will not make anything go away. Meditating, being quiet, getting off the treadmill will-if nothing else-save the person whose body I live in daily-me!

No comments:

Post a Comment