Saturday, March 11, 2017

My Best Role

This morning, on my way to work, I was thinking about my many hats. I am a wife, a mother, a teacher, a writer, a director of an Outreach Center, a social activist. I have learned to juggle so many roles, that sometimes I have to stop and pause; I feel overwhelmed by the treadmill. But this earlier this week I gave pause; I was purchasing bakery goods for Ella's swim party. Every Wednesday I take Ella swimming, and this past Wednesday was her swim teacher's birthday, so the four children and their parents celebrated. I am the only grandma in the group. We have had parties once a month for one reason or another-Valentine's Day, for example. I have found myself looking forward to these events because every child has taken to call me "Gaga Pam." I am Gaga to my granddaughter, Ella, but now her swim buddies look forward to a kiss and a hug and calling me Gaga, too.

And you know what? I relish this. It fills me with such joy, such pleasure, a special treat during these troubled political times. I may feel saddened by the state of the world, but when I go to Wednesday swim, the beauty, innocence, sheer joy of the world spills into every pore of my existence, and for this reason, this is the hat I most appreciate; the one I eagerly look forward to and love.

Thank you, Ella, and thank you, Craig and Amanda, for giving me this gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment