Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Why the Y


Last night I had a reading of my young adult novel-in-verse, RONIT AND JAMIL. Half of the audience were members of my local Y, which is also my local gym. These are people I swim with, spend time with in the locker room, zumba with and join with yoga, pilates, and spin classes. We are all active, and make it our mission to stay as healthy as possible (so important, since we are all middle-aged). I realized, at that moment, how much I love my local Y. It is filled with a vast array of men and women who are smart, physically active and generous of spirit, committed to keeping their bodies and minds active. Some of them are retired, but not all; some of them have grown children, but not all; all of them are interesting to talk to, and they are also so diverse. I love the diversity of the Y, that there are so many races and religions. Our very own mayor works out at the Y, and so do some actors and actresses, besides ordinary people like myself. The best part about these ordinary people? They are really quite extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment