Friday, September 2, 2016

Magical Thinking

I believe in magical thinking. It is why, I suppose, I like fairy tales so much. I can make piece out of mincemeat, and I always try to. This attitude has gotten me through many hard and bleak days; it got me through my childhood. I just knew, as bad as things were, they would get better; they had to! They could not get any worse.

I always believed I would get published with a decent mainstream press. I felt my work was good enough. The reality, though, was this did not happen for a very long time. Accordingly, I had to make peace with what I had, and I did. In the deepest recesses of my heart, I knew-at some point-I would get what I wanted. I worked for it and I deserved it. I needed to imagine a world with happily ever after.


And that good ending did come. It did not happen immediately, but I plodded my way through the forest; I persevered, and I ultimately had my wishes fulfilled. The glass will always be half full, and I will see to it-if I can work magic with my wand-that those who I love will get their good dreams fulfilled, too-all with a twist of the wrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment