Saturday, January 27, 2018

Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico

I have just returned from Puerto Rico, where I traveled with my friend, Janet. We both did volunteer work in Centros So Isolina Ferre, a center for children pre-k through high school, many of whom have issues, but some of those issues include homelessness (post-Maria), pregnancy; poverty, among others. Janet and I came as facilitators in the classroom. I brought copies of HOMER for the little ones (a picture book) and Ronit and Jamil for the older students. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE at the facility was remarkable-the teachers, the staff, even the wonderful driver, Juana, who drove us back each day. We managed to communicate so much in my broken Spanish, even though Juana knew no English at all. At the end when I left, she kissed my hand. Kisses say a lot.

Lourdes Lopez, who runs this organization, runs it with such love and compassion and interest in the children; she is a powerhouse of a woman, and I found myself in love with her passion and kindness.

What was most remarkable, though, were the children. The little ones needed a translator when we worked with them, and when I read my hurricane Maria picture book to them, they did drawings about what the storm meant to them.There was a lot of blue; a lot of water.

The high school children were remarkable. Most of them knew English, and they were engaged, interested and so seriously smart. More importantly, they were so grateful that I was there as an author. They confirmed a very deep-seated feeling I have; the less you have the more appreciative you are for what you have. They were grateful to have a signed copy of my book, and I would like to think I even inspired some of them to become writers.

I am back only two days, and still this experience and the faces of the children stand in front of me. I offered all of them the experience of writing a poem, sending it to me, and I said I would publish it in Poetry in Performance. I am grateful that I got to do this work and I pray the island continues to recover from its devastation. I pray for easier lives for these most remarkable children and people. They deserve all that-and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment