Sunday, January 7, 2018

Big Birthday for Ira

Happy birthday, Ira. This is a biggie. You just got your medicare card and are so excited to get your discounted metro-card. Yesterday we went to see Star Wars-your all time favorite movie, and I was reminded of the time decades ago how excited you were to stand on line for hours so we could go to the opening of Star Wars. I said to you yesterday that we were just kids. How wild is that? We were!!

And now, decades later, you are about to embark on being a"senior citizen," and I still find my love for you is enormous. You make me laugh out loud. Yesterday, when you were reading THE FIRE AND FURY, you were chuckling so loudly that I, too, found myself laughing. My love for you has grown, since you have evolved enormously, while still being the stand-up citizen you always were.

No one has more integrity than you. You are a morally upstanding citizen who thinks about the greater world in such a generous and caring way. The way you work as a doctor in an inner city hospital with such care and generosity of spirit is a marvel to everyone around you. My God, a patient named her daughter after you- Marie Ira, and we were at the wedding of this patient.

You were always funny, but you have grown funnier; you were always warm and loving, but you have grown even more so. You are a wonderful family man who has always put your family above all else. You have always been a great Dad.

Recently, you have grown into an even bigger person. You always have had terrific values, but your response to the current political climate demonstrates a politics I never saw in you. Your attitude toward lies, dishonesty, moral indecency is so outstanding and your willingness to not just cry out, but give money, join protests, utter contempt for what is uncivil, inhumane and wrong allows me to see you are not a person who stands in the background, but someone willing to risk a voice for reason and humanity.

For this-among many other reasons, I am so proud to be your wife, so blessed to have had such a wonderful marriage to you, so happy to say "still crazy after all these years"-and I hope there are many more of them, in a world I know you will make every attempt to make better!!!!  We have a standing joke that the world would be better if you were president.And I agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment