Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Another Brooklyn

Two years ago Jacqueline Woodson, my friend, gave me a copy of ANOTHER BROOKLYN (uncorrected proofs), before it was nominated as a National Book Award finalist. I admired the writing, was moved by the story and thought-like always-she is a superb writer. Reading it two years later has made me appreciate the book so much more! It is elegant writing-sad, poignant, poetic-a story about friendship, family, loss. For whatever reason, I loved the book this time, much more the second time around. I suppose I have been reading a lot of poetry this year, and this has changed my sensibilities. ANOTHER BROOKLYN is an elegy, a lamentation, filled with the beautiful and figurative diction of a long-lasting and terrific poem. I LOVE this book and believe me, you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment