Tuesday, August 1, 2017

What is a Hero?

What is a hero? Someone who stands by their conscience, someone who stands up against a bully, someone who dares to defy the norm. I have never been part of the norm, and revel in the fact that this feels like a good thing. I admire people who are very principled and it is their principles that motivate them. Part of the reason I do not respect our president is that he lacks a conscience and principles; this translates to being morally reprehensible. It is not about party; there are Republicans I admire, even though I am a Democrat. And this week there are three I applaud as heroes: Senator Susan Collins of Maine; Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Senator John McCain of Arizona. These three stood up to the bully pulpit and said NO to the Republicans who are trying to sabotage our healthcare system. They are Republican, and the senator from Alaska was even threatened by the president, who said he would withhold money from her state, something he cannot do. Bravo to these three brave souls. My only prayer is that more and more Republican senators will follow suit as 45 continues to dismantle our system, without a thought to what is fair, decent and right. MIGHT is never RIGHT. And these three people stand up unafraid. So proud to be a part of their America!

No comments:

Post a Comment