Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Idealist

I am an idealist. I watch the West Wing and I sob because I think about the way government should be, with decency, honesty, integrity, intelligence. When I discuss education, I dream about good public schools for all, not the upper class in their private schools, segregated from the rest of the world, but I think about ALL people-rich, poor, middle class-getting the best education possible. I envision a world where we all get the best healthcare, and that includes the same as our political leaders. I also hope for a minimum wage where people can afford to feed their families, where there would be an incentive to get off of public assistance because everyone understands it is always better to have a job-but with a living wage.

The office of the presidency now is so inhumane, so far removed from these goals, so inconsistent, so hypocritical, I find myself bereft when I think about the state of the world. People are saying, MOVE ON, since what choice do you have? In part, I agree, but to move on would mean I do not take the world we live in quite seriously. And I do, so I grieve, and hope this administration is short-lived, and the next one is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment