Sunday, February 5, 2017

Brooklyn Bubble

I live in Brooklyn, where I proudly wear my Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Hillary buttons. I go to the Y, my gym, and everyone is talking politics. They are appalled by this presidency, and all the zumba in the world will not diminish the fear present with the Trump presidency. I walk around Brooklyn; I go to a coffee shop. Everyone is talking about the newest disaster he has unleashed on the world. I go on the subway and people start crying while they are reading the newspaper. It has made New Yorkers kinder, gentler; we are looking out for the Muslims. Yet, as  I continue to live in my "bubble" I ponder: How are the Trump supporters feeling now? I know very few. Are they empowered? Do they think all the dismantling and destroying is good? Are they fine with their heath care being taken away? Is it okay that pre-existing conditions will no longer be covered? In other words, as I feel empowered by the Million Woman March and my neighborhood people, all of whom feel the way I do,  I wonder if the Trump people feel this is the world they wanted. And then I have to wonder what is wrong with them, which makes the world  more divided than ever!


East is East and West is West and never the twain will meet. In truth, I cannot accept there are people out there who believe it is okay to detain Muslim Americans at the airport, and continue to watch the Syrian crisis unfold, and feel it is okay for so many children to die daily. In other words, my bubble is a better place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment