Friday, July 7, 2017

Because of the SunBecause of the Sun by Jenny Torres Sanchez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am working on a middle grade novel, so I have been reading lots of books for teens this summer. In this mode, I just finished BECAUSE OF THE SUN by Jenny Torres Sanchez, and all I can say is wow! Interestingly, my latest novel is about a girl's conflicted relationship with her mother, so this book became like a mentor for me. The mom in my book is mentally ill, but the mom is Sanchez's book is damaged, and the damage causes her daughter's loneliness and psychological trauma-its own kind of damage. How can a daughter reconcile with an "absent" mother? Perhaps knowing the history of that mother can help, though-before that point-the rage, the fear, the despair become "touchably alive." And for Dani Falls-she has no idea who her mother is or was, and has learned to be on her own, like an orphan before she actually becomes one. Until....not about to provide a spoiler alert for this, but trust me, you MUST read this beautifully written and landscaped book. You might cry, but the tears will be good ones!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment