Tuesday, September 27, 2016

First Reading of RONIT AND JAMIL

Had my first public reading of RONIT AND JAMIL at the Park Slope library, part of artslope. I was worried because of the time, that no one would show up, but I had a nice size--a multi-ethnic eclectic group of adult readers. I read excerpts from three of the five sections, all to a wildly enthusiastic response. Everyone is excited to purchase the book and read it in its entirety. Though this is a YA book, my audience was all adults, all of whom were thoroughly engaged, so I am feeling positive, like this just might be one of those crossover books. The Q & A afterwards demonstrated a nuanced understanding of some of the issues in the Middle East, and also a clear understanding of what it meant to write this book, since I am Jewish, and want to project the crisis fairly. Everyone agreed I did a great job, and this was very satisfying. I hope this is the beginning of a long and fruitful life for the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment