Sunday, November 5, 2017

The West Wing

I am in love with this show. It runs deeper; I am in love with this government. Every time we watch this show on Netflix, I start to cry. My husband's response-it is not real; it is just a show. Of course it is not real, exactly the reason I am crying. It represents how far we have regressed as a Democracy.The show has a president, speech-writers, a press secretary, a chief of staff, all of whom have everything I want in a presidential office: they are seriously smart; they are seriously principled; they have impeccable values; they are open and honest and have integrity. They really look out for the common man and woman. They do not look out for any one group. In the spirit of Democracy, all people are created equal. They would never punish a pregnant woman who can not keep her child. They would never reward the rich with all these loopholes and tax breaks. Furthermore, they would never allow hate language. a place in our country, and would renounce it-every step of the way.

So why do I cry? It is a vision of an idealistic world, a decent government, one we saw during Obama's presidency, in part, but one we have gone so far away from. The West Wing is the government I want, not the government I have.

And for this I cry and continue to cry every day, since yes, I am an idealist in a world that has gone in the other direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment